Countries with assembly/R&D activity are highlighted on the map
Research and product development expenditure in 2020 totalled EUR 105 (102) million, representing 3.2 (2.8) percent of sales. Research and development investments were focused on themes supporting our climate targets such as digitalisation, electrificationand automation as well as projects that aim to improve the competitiveness and cost efficiency of products
R&D in business areas in 2020
- Containerised ChargePod solution and energy-saving guarantee for electrically powered forklift trucks were introduced to the market.
- A new range of G-Generation top loaders with improved hydraulics, fuel consumption and operator ergonomics.
- Kalmar and MacGregor announced their joint participation in AEGIS (Advanced, Efficient and Green Intermodal Systems), a three-year project funded by the EU’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation programme.
- Navis leveraged the solutions offered by two startups, i4sea and Teqplay, as part of the Navis Smart Suite offering.
- Navis announced N4 as a Service (SaaS) offering, allowing its customers to seamlessly move terminal operations to the cloud.
- Hiab designed and implemented a steering system for a self-driving truck that is being tested by Stora Enso, a global provider of packaging, biomaterials, wooden constructions and paper, in Finland. The desing was done in collaboration with VTT, a Finnish state-owned research organisation.
- A free version of the connected service HiConnect™, a web portal that lets Hiab customers with connected equipment receive insights to improve safety and utilisation as well as keeping track of service needs based on actual usage.
- MULTILIFT Optima 15S and MULTILIFT Optima 25S hooklifts for two and four axle trucks.
Hiab helped to develop a new truck used by JOLT Energy Group to collect and return mobile charging stations for electric vehicles.
- All new WDV railgates by Hiab’s American brand WALTCO ordered from 1 September will have HiConnect™ connectivity as a standard feature with one year of access already included.
- Hiab launched MOFFETT E4 NX, its next generation eSeries of electric forklifts and the world’s first all electric 3-wheel drive truck mounted forklift.
MacGregor is applying proven oil & gas technology and extensive operational experience to support the development of offshore wind and renewable energy, with Edda Wind and OHT contracts being good examples of this.
Digital technology-enabled Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) was successfully completed on a MacGregor 3D-compensated crane to be installed on an offshore wind energy service operation vessel.
Further OnWatch Scout pilot systems were successfully installed onboard a multi-purpose offshore supply vessel and a general cargo vessel.